Ecclestone aims to slot in Bahrain GP

By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, February 23rd 2011, 11:03 GMT

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says he will try his best to get the Bahrain Grand Prix back on the calendar this year following the withdrawal of the event. Bahrain finally confirmed earlier this week that the season opener would not take place as scheduled due to the unrest going on in the country. Bahrain officials said there was no decision yet on whether the race would take place this year, and the FIA suggested the call will only be down to the governing body itself. Ecclestone, however, says he will do all he can to make sure the Sakhir race takes place this season. “What has happened in Bahrain is desperately sad but one month ago everyone was looking forward to the race,” Ecclestone told the Daily Telegraph. “No one had a problem with it then. If everything is peaceful, which we hope it will be, then we will try our best to fit it in.” Ecclestone also revealed that Formula One Management will pay for the costs of the cancelled event, estimated to be around $40 million. “The fee that is normally being paid for the event is not being paid,” he said. “I am not charging them for a race they are not getting. “Whether they are covered by their insurers for loss of revenues, ticket sales, etc. I am not sure. But if anything is force majeure then that is. It is similar to if an earthquake had struck — no one could have foreseen that a month ago.” “If and when it is rescheduled they will pay their usual fee.” Ecclestone aims to slot in Bahrain GP By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, February 23rd 2011, 11:03 GMT Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says he will try his best to get the Bahrain Grand Prix back on the calendar this year following the withdrawal of the event. Bahrain finally confirmed earlier this week that the season opener would not take place as scheduled due to the unrest going on in the country. Bahrain officials said there was no decision yet on whether the race would take place this year, and the FIA suggested the call will only be down to the governing body itself. Ecclestone, however, says he will do all he can to make sure the Sakhir race takes place this season. “What has happened in Bahrain is desperately sad but one month ago everyone was looking forward to the race,” Ecclestone told the Daily Telegraph. “No one had a problem with it then. If everything is peaceful, which we hope it will be, then we will try our best to fit it in.” Ecclestone also revealed that Formula One Management will pay for the costs of the cancelled event, estimated to be around $40 million. “The fee that is normally being paid for the event is not being paid,” he said. “I am not charging them for a race they are not getting. “Whether they are covered by their insurers for loss of revenues, ticket sales, etc. I am not sure. But if anything is force majeure then that is. It is similar to if an earthquake had struck — no one could have foreseen that a month ago.” “If and when it is rescheduled they will pay their usual fee.”

 

Copyright. 2011. © 2011 TotalF1.com All Rights Reserved

Advertisements

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: